Tom has over 40 years of experience in the financial services industry, with areas of specialization in financial planning and estate planning. He is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, Chartered Life Underwriter and a financial advisor of Raymond James Financial Services.
Tom graduated cum laude from Harvard College in 1967 and earned an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1973. He began his long career in 1971 with Howard Holiday, a general agent for National Life of Vermont and Equity Services, Inc. Since 1978, Tom has been a general agent, first with Chubb Life and then with Lincoln Financial, where he also served as branch manager.
Over the years, Tom has served his community in a number of ways. He was one of the founding partners of the Cabot Street Cinema Theatre and Le Grand David and his own Spectacular Magic Company. He served as chairman of the board of the Waring School for six years and as a Wenham Selectman for six years. He served on the board of the Essex County Community Foundation, serving as chair of its Planned Giving Committee.
From 2004 to 2011, Tom served on the board of the Rockport Chamber Music Festival (now Rockport Music). Between 2005 and 2011, he chaired that board as the organization undertook a $20 million capital campaign to build its own performance center, which opened in June 2010. He is currently serving as a trustee emeritus.
In 2011 Tom joined the Board of Longy School of Music, which merged with Bard College in 2012. With Bard and the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Longy is fostering social change through music in its Take A Stand Program. Tom has served as Longy Board chair since 2013.
Today he serves on the Board of Overseers of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the Board of Bard College.
I was born in California near the end of World War II and grew up in Iowa City, Iowa. Today, my wife, Andree, and I live in Gloucester on the ocean. I take great delight in the unfolding of the lives of my three adult children, Rachael, Alex and Natasha; my son-in-laws, Hitesh Hathi and Michael Bernstein; and my grandsons, Mohan and Ziv – and of course Andree, who I couldn’t live without.
I would break my nonprofit involvement into two areas:
Nonprofit and Government Leadership and Significant Financial Support
- 1. Bard College – Trustee since 2013
- 2. Boston Symphony Orchestra – Overseer since 2016
- 3. Celebrity Series - Overseer since 2016
- 4. Essex County Community Foundation - former Trustee, now member of Professional Advisor Council and Leadership Council
- 5. Longy School of Music of Bard College, Chairman of Board of Governors since 2013.
- 6. Rockport Music – Board Chair, 2005-2011; Trustee Emeritus since 2011
- 7. Waring School – Board Chair, 1987-1993
- 8. Wenham Selectman, 1989-1995
My wife, Andree Robert, and I are also significant supporters of
- 1. Addison Gilbert Hospital
- 2. A.R.T. (American Repertory Theater)
- 3. Boston Lyric Opera
- 4. Boston Opera Collaborative
- 5. Cape Ann Symphony
- 6. Gloucester Stage Company
- 7. Harvard College
- 8. Huntington Theater
- 9. Pathways for Children
- 10. Tremont School
My wife and I also currently support
- 1. Care Dimensions
- 2. Essex County Greenbelt
- 3. Harvard Business School
- 4. Manship Artist in Residence Program
- 5. Metropolitan Opera
- 6. Museum of Fine Arts Boston
- 7. New England Philharmonic
- 8. Notre Dame Children’s Class
- 9. U.S. Holocaust Museum
- 10. Winsor School
- 11. WBUR
- 12. WGBH